Join an award-winning staff as managing editor.
- a self-starter and self-motivated
- organized and hard-working
- able to produce high-quality work in a fast-paced environment
- a big-picture visionary who is also meticulous with the details
- able to manage multiple projects at once
- passionate about delivering high-quality editorial to readers
Missouri Life Inc. in Boonville (about half an hour from Columbia) seeks an ambitious and talented editor who has the potential to grow into the editor slot. Missouri Life is an eight times per year, four-color statewide magazine focusing especially on travel, leisure, and history. Our page count typically ranges from 100 to 148 pages per issue.
Since this company revived Missouri Life in 1999, both the magazine and the company have experienced steady growth. The 25,000-circulation magazine has won many awards from the International Regional Magazine Association, including Magazine of the Year four times.
Email email@example.com with resume, writing clips, and editing samples.
Prefer someone who has 5 years of experience. Editorial quality is of primary importance to us. Position requires exceptional editing and management skills and the ability to demonstrate you have those. We are looking for someone with a passion to get to know and serve our readers and a fire-in-the-belly to make a better magazine by telling stories in creative ways. The managing editor should be able to write feature stories and short items as well, but this is primarily an editing position.
- Oversee production of magazine from concept to completion
- Propose ideas and plan the annual editorial calendar, with plans approved by editor-in-chief.
- Maintain production schedule and meet deadline schedules
- Assign stories to freelance writers and work with them on direction, revisions, and fact-checking.
- Work with art director to plan photography, edit photos, and attain best possible presentation of stories
- Edit stories
- Follow our accuracy-check procedures
- Write headlines, subheads, captions, and other display type
- Final fitting editing in InCopy
- Proofread and correct files as needed
- Write features or departmental stories as desired and needed
- Supervise any of the above performed by staff, interns and freelance writers
- Supervise staff editors, freelance editors and interns
- Evaluate and respond to freelance queries
- Manage freelance budget
- Supervise office staff to make sure we procure and maintain copyright assignment paperwork
- Continue to build on already talented pool of freelance writers and photographers
- Supervise freelance editors with primary production responsibilities for custom projects as needed
- Travel as needed
- Participate in continuing website development of editorial content.
- Representing Missouri Life at functions and speaking to groups as needed.
Our core values:
Passionate about quality
Honest & ethical
The other critical attributes we seek are:
Ability to work well under pressure and deadlines
Excellent communications skills
Enjoys working with others
Organized and able to manage various projects simultaneously
Good time-management skills
Ability to think big picture but also manage the smallest details
Perks and Benefits:
- Opportunity to choose fun stories for yourself, travel the state, and to attend national conferences
- Broad scope for career development
- Medical insurance
- Retirement contribution plan (our match is fully vested immediately)
- Generous first-year Paid-Time-Off policy
- Work with a creative, award-winning group of people
- Small, owner-involved company means flexibility and fast decisions
- Company has grown consistently since starting in 1999, which means increasing opportunities for the right person.
Some reasons Missouri Life might be a fit for you:
- Missouri Life reaches almost 130,000 readers statewide with every issue. We are the highest paid-circulation statewide magazine in Missouri. Research has shown magazines with paid readership have much higher readership and retention than free publications (Monroe Mendlesohn).
- About 1,200 newsstands across the state carry Missouri Life and order more than 7,000 copies of every issue. These newsstands include Walmart, Walgreens, Schnucks, Dierbergs, Barnes and Noble, Borders, and many more outlets.
- Our readers are affluent, with an average annual household income of about $100,000.
- We belong to professional organizations, including IRMA, and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to travel to and attend professional development training opportunities.
- Our readers are well educated; 85 percent have degrees or advanced degrees or some college.
- We have active, involved readers, with good distribution across age groups.
- Our circulation is audited. This is extremely important today when many free and unaudited magazines make exaggerated claims of print runs, distribution, and readers/copy.
- Missouri Life set a record at our audit firm (audits 5,000+ publications) for how long our magazine is kept, meaning we’ve become not only a coffee-table magazine picked up over and over again, but also a reference magazine, that moves to home bookshelves for continued future reference.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
To apply, please refer to original post here.