Share your passion for animals and conservation!
The mission of the Chicago Zoological Society is to inspire conservation leadership by connecting people with wildlife and nature.
Since the opening of Brookfield Zoo in 1934, the Society has had an international reputation for taking a cutting-edge role in animal care and conservation of the natural world. From the world’s longest-running study of bottlenose dolphins to pioneering the field of conservation psychology, the Society is an active partner in wildlife protection programs around the world. We are also making a difference locally by engaging over 2 million zoo guests annually with unique exhibits and programs.
The Creative Services department is responsible for the narrative, brand, and visual presentation of the Society and Brookfield Zoo. It is mainly through the efforts of this department—which includes signage, advertising and public relations materials, printed materials, content development, and electronic communications—that the Society is able to impart its messages of conservation leadership and animal care and welfare.
The Writer/Editor contributes to the success of the Chicago Zoological Society (“CZS”) by producing effective and engaging communications to increase awareness of CZS and its mission and drive attendance. This position will write, edit, and proof assigned communications.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Research, write, edit, and proof on- and off-site communication materials, including but not limited to advertising, press releases, and materials for outreach, educational, fund raising and promotions as necessary.
- Research, write, edit, and proof articles and other materials for the Chicago Zoological Society/Brookfield Zoo website, social media, as well as for e-mail newsletters to various audiences.
- Work with Society conservation and education staff, as well as in-house designers, to research, write, edit, and proof onsite communication materials such as interpretive signs, informational signs, and guest services materials throughout the park.
- Research and write for large-scale publications, such as member’s magazine Gateways.
- Write appropriate content for publications and other materials based on input from CZS staff and other resources. Check for factual accuracy, working with experts.
- Other related duties as assigned.
This position includes the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism, or other related field or eight years of equivalent combination of training and experience required.
- Three years of experience writing and/or editing for organization publications and/or the media required.
- English fluency. Ability to read, write, speak and comprehend at an advanced level required.
- Demonstrated strong writing skill and ability, including ability for creating a unique voice, flair, and motivation to action as appropriate for the message and media.
- Demonstrated editing and proofreading skills, solid oral and written communication skills, and strong listening skills.
- Must be proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must possess a high level of energy and demonstrated ability to work under pressure, produce quality results, and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and good organizational skills. Demonstrated flexibility and imagination.
- Excellent customer service skills required.
- Experience and/or ability to work and interact effectively with a diverse, multicultural audience.
- A valid driver’s license is required on date of hire. If an Illinois resident, must possess a valid Illinois driver’s license at the time of hire or must obtain one within 90 days of hire. A valid out-of-state driver’s license is required at time of hire for out-of-state residents.
The preferred qualifications include:
- Experience or training coursework in life sciences is a plus.
- Science writing background a plus.
- Spanish writing and editing experience a plus.
- Experience with Adobe InDesign a plus.
Additional Information: This position description summarizes the primary duties and functions of this position, but should not be considered a complete listing of every duty the incumbent may ever be called upon to perform. Incumbent must develop an understanding of the Society’s mission and vision, as well as a comprehensive understanding and sensitivity to the Chicago Zoological Society’s diverse audiences. The nature of the work produced by the Creative Services Department requires flexibility, dependability, and a cooperative, results-oriented individual that can work out new solutions to respond to the varied and intense list of service requests received each year. Because Chicago Zoological Society is an organization with multiple, rapidly changing priorities, the incumbent must be flexible, adaptable, and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment. Individual must be comfortable working in an environment that is mission and vision driven and embrace the Society’s core values of people, results, innovation, diversity, and enthusiasm. Incumbent may assist and inform the public as needed.
The Chicago Zoological Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If interested in being considered for this opportunity, please visit the CZS Career Center to obtain more details about the position and to apply by submitting your profile. Please visit our website at www.czs.org/careers. Please look for requisition number 1583BR.
To apply, please refer to original post here.